Monday, April 18, 2011

what would i do if i was in their shoes

                                     What would i do if i was in a rape victims shoes? 
                       How would i handle being raped? well i would never want it to happen to me. i'd be as safe as possible, follow any advice i was given to avoid it happening to me. i would always have a buddy tag along with me when i would go out to a party. i'd definately keep an eye on my drink at all times. I would definately avoid anyone who's had a little too much too drink, and if they start acting strange i would just make up some excuse to get away from them. and if that didn't work i would just walk away. 

                         If it did happen to me i know the first thing i would never do is take a shower, you never wanna shower after a rape cause that will wipe all the DNA away. The first thing i would definately do is go to the hospital or the police to report it. i would not want the person to get away with it. i'd definately want them to pay for the crime they committed, i know i would have tons of nightmares, i wouldn't be able to get that out of my head for a long time. i mean how can someone just go and hurt someone like that ? that's been my question all along

.                     I know i would definately wanna find out who committed the crime so i could take them to court, and they can get the punishment they deserve. I mean who else wouldn't want them to get away with that? i know tons of people that go through this have a hard time reporting it, because their either threatened or know the person and don't wanna say anything. i know wheather i knew the person or not i would still wanna see them pay for what they did.

                        

3 comments:

  1. Most rapes happen to people who know their rapist. Even if you took all preventative actions, what if it was your boyfriend? You cannot be safe 100% of the time. Fifteen years old and letting your boyfriend in your house. Just because you say no, doesn't mean he will listen. He should though. I think the only kind of rape you addressed is the kind that we are all familiar with. And that's one reason why I have a hard time calling my event rape. It's far from societal's norm of what rape is. But I SAID NO. And even though we all want them to pay, statistics say that only 6% actually pay for their crimes. It's one sad fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a shame what women have to go through my sister was raped walking home from work when she was 17 years old , she didn't know who the person was she couldn't scream she couldn't do anything he held her down and covered her mouth. it was so hard for my sister she never told us about it till september 25th 2001 when my niece kala was born i don't regret my niece at all i love her so much she is the most smartest and most beautiful girl in the world

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think you would do all of the things you wrote in your blog. I was safe. I was with my brother-in-law's younger brother. My first weekend away at school. With a large group of girl friends. That was the first time I ever had more than a few beers. It was the first time I had seen someone do a keg stand. It was the first college party I'd ever been to.

    Does it mean I would never go to a party again? No. Does it mean I should feel responsible for being raped because my buddy system failed and I had too much to drink? No. You think you will protect yourself and perhaps you genuinely try, but sometimes bad stuff just happens.

    You think afterward that you won't want to take a shower, that you'll want to punish your attacker. But, when it happens, you are paralyzed with shame and fear. You don't want a stranger to touch you or see you. Imagine someone telling you that you need to take your clothes off for the examination. You shake. Your knees quiver in fear of someone forcing them apart. Imagine the horror of having to get tested for every STD under the sun - HPV, chlamydia, herpes, HIV, everything - you're getting tested as a teenager and for the first time...because you might have an STD now...or more than one. Imagine telling your sister that her brother-in-law raped you.

    I was 18 years old. Before that night, I was saucy and spirited and confident and happy and outgoing and had an A average. After I was raped, I got all Fs and stayed in my bed sobbing during the day, was afraid to walk around campus or talk to my teachers. I drank my way through the pain at night, waiting for the moment to come when I either didn't feel any more pain or when I was loosened up enough to cry and share my story with someone, hoping that the indulgence would somehow make me feel better. It never did.

    A few months after I turned 26, I finally found a good therapist. He was my fourth. I am now 33 years old, and I still see him. I choose to - I am such a better, stronger person, and I need that support. My parents, my family, my friends - they are not enough. I am still working through some of the issues, but I am happy and am engaged to a man that makes me feel wonderful and safe. Don't be ashamed of needing a therapist. You might need one forever.

    I hope you never experience any kind of rape. If you are going to blog about this, then you need to understand that it's a lot easier to say what you would do than what you truly would have the strength to do if that time ever comes. There is no right or wrong path, but I hope every woman who experiences rape finds peace and safety someday. She deserves it.

    ReplyDelete